Forest cemetery

The forest cemetery is 18.4 hectares in size and comprises around 15,000 graves. There are various burial options for different types of graves. There is a large funeral hall with 60 seats, as well as a prayer room with space for up to 10 people. The forest cemetery is home to the service yard and the administrative building of the Eberswalde cemeteries. In addition to several war graves, it is also home to the city of Eberswalde's Soviet memorial. The forest cemetery with its old trees of foreign species and its abundance of shrubs and ground cover resembles a park. The old cypresses, Douglas firs and area 42 with its forest-like rhododendron population are particularly inviting for a stroll and discovery. The many interesting historical gravestones tell of the eventful history of the town of Eberswalde. Important personalities from Eberswalde's history are buried in and around the historic terraces. Well-known forestry professors, artists, honorary citizens, master builders and leaders of the labour movement were laid to rest in the forest cemetery. The forest cemetery offers a high degree of accessibility and a disabled toilet.

Download map of the forest cemetery (PDF)

Waldfriedhof Eberswalde
Finow cemetery

The 3.5-hectare cemetery in Biesenthaler Straße in Eberswalde-Finow was established at the end of the 19th century. Due to the strong population growth, the original cemetery at the Finow church became too small and an alternative cemetery had to be created on the outskirts of the town. The cemetery portal, built in 1911 by Wilhelm Hoppe and restored in 2001/2002, leads along an old avenue of lime trees to the mourning hall. The funeral hall, built in the neo-Gothic style at the beginning of the 20th century, has been renovated and heated and is modern and attractive thanks to its new interior design. 46 people can attend the funeral service seated here. In addition to urn graves and elective earth graves, there are also anonymous communal urn graves, as well as communal urn graves with a slab and row graves. The sanitary facilities are accessible during the opening hours of the administration.

Download map of Finow cemetery (PDF)

Friedhof Finow Eberswalde
Kupferhammer cemetery

The Kupferhammer cemetery dates back to the settlement of Kupferhammer, which was incorporated into the town of Eberswalde in May 1936. The 3000 m² burial ground was designated in 1905 and was actively used until 2011. With the decision of the city council on 25 March 2011 to close parts of the cemetery and cemeteries in the city area, the Kupferhammer cemetery was taken out of use. This means that no new graves will be allocated and the rights of use of existing elective graves will no longer be extended. An exception can be made for spouses of deceased persons buried in the cemetery. They can be buried there on request and the period of use is extended until the end of the deceased's period of rest. The Kupferhammer cemetery has a chapel with simple furnishings and 16 seats.

Download map Kupferhammer (PDF)

Friedhof Kupferhammer Eberswalde
Cemetery Messingwerk

The Messingwerk cemetery is part of the Messingwerk estate, the oldest factory estate in the state of Brandenburg at over 300 years old. The cemetery was laid out in 1925/1926 and was planned and built as a unified cemetery site. The ensemble with its brick chapel and wrought-iron fence and gate is listed as an architectural monument in the state of Brandenburg. The gate and chapel were renovated in 1995/1996 and the fence was renewed in 2005/2006. The chapel has been continuously renovated since 2007. The roof and the joints of the exterior walls have been renovated and parts of the interior were plastered and painted in 2017. The cemetery offers the following types of grave: row grave, urn row grave, urn ballot grave and earth ballot grave. There are no sanitary facilities and there is no electricity supply.

Download map of the brassworks cemetery (PDF)

Friedhof Messingwerk Eberswalde
Spechthausen cemetery

The Spechthausen cemetery is part of the settlement around the paper factory. It was established at the beginning of the 19th century as the private property of the Ebart family, who owned it for generations. The chapel with the inscription "Resting place of the Ebart family" probably also dates from this time and is now only rarely used as a place for funerals. In 1929, the 5304 m² area was handed over to the municipality of Spechthausen, which became a district of the town of Eberswalde in 2006. The cemetery has urn ballot and earth ballot graves and from 2018 there will probably be an urn grove and an urn communal facility. There is no toilet or electricity supply at the cemetery in Spechthausen.

Download map Spechthausen (PDF)

Friedhof Spechthausen Eberswalde
Old and New Jewish Cemetery

The old Jewish cemetery was established in 1751 on Oderberger Straße, extended in 1851 and surrounded by a brick wall in 1862. It covers an area of 975 square metres and the oldest surviving stone dates from 1784. In 1924, a second Jewish cemetery was established adjacent to the Waldfriedhof Eberswalde. There are 53 gravestones in this cemetery.

Alter und Neuer Jüdischer Friedhof Eberswalde


Immediately after death, a doctor must be informed in order to have the death officially recognised. The doctor will then issue a death certificate. The next of kin are then notified to determine the course of action. An undertaker is then chosen to transport the body to the mortuary and explain the next steps. The deceased must not be taken to the mortuary until 24 hours after death and may only be transferred after the post-mortem examination. The information on the deceased's contracts and dispositions must then be determined and kept ready as a basis for decision-making. (e.g. will, precautionary contract with funeral parlour, organ donation, declaration of intent for cremation).

During the first 36 hours, it is important to take care of the deceased's home and any animals present. Then you should choose a funeral director to carry out the funeral. You can compare prices and services. Furthermore, you must register the death at the registry office or have it registered by the undertaker in order to obtain a death certificate. All relevant authorities must then be informed about the death of the relative, e.g. probate court (will), health insurance, life and accident insurance. The funeral director will inform the cemetery administration and determine the type, form and time of burial.

A burial is the transfer of the body to another element. In Germany, burials are divided into burials and cremations. The burial is part of the cremation, whereby the burial is only completed when the urn is placed in a grave.

There are two forms of burial. Burial in a coffin. The burial grave, the earth row grave, the anonymous grave and the meadow grave are used to accommodate the deceased. In the case of cremation, the cremation takes place in the crematorium and the remains are buried in an urn in an urn grave. The burial is only completed with the burial. A burial can take place after 48 hours at the earliest. For burials in the ground, the burial should take place on the fifth day and no later than ten days after the death. In the case of cremations, the deceased must be taken to the crematorium no later than the fourth day after death. The urn must then be buried within 3 months.

Elective burial sites, also known as family burial sites, are intended for both urns and burials. The name family burial plot describes the function of the burial site well, which is purchased for a 30-year period of use and can then be extended. The elective grave stands for constant grave use and grave maintenance and is intended for families who use the same grave site, sometimes for generations. On the other hand, there are the multi-shaped row graves, which are limited to a period of use of 15 years for urn graves and 20 years for earth graves. After the period of use by the authorised user, the grave falls back into the responsibility of the cemetery administration. In the case of row graves, the framework planting is specified by the cemetery administration, but the actual grave maintenance is carried out by the authorised users. In this case, permanent grave maintenance by grave care companies can be commissioned.

Elective graves are generally maintained by the authorised users. It is also possible to personalise the design of the burial plot and urn graves and it is necessary to maintain the grave. Caring for a grave can be an important part of the grieving process. The limits of individual grave design are set by the cemetery statutes. The cemetery administration prepares and maintains the following types of graves in the framework design: The urn and communal burial grounds as well as the special forms of urn groves, meadow graves, memorial gardens and flower meadows.

In the case of elective graves, meadow graves and communal urn graves with a slab, marking with a grave marker (e.g. headstone) in a horizontal or vertical position is mandatory. Anonymous burial and communal urn graves are not marked and burial takes place without the presence of the next of kin. For the other types of burial, the authorised users are free to decide whether to mark the grave. However, if you decide in favour of a marker, the provisions of the cemetery statutes must be observed.

The lying-in or resting period at the cemeteries of the city of Eberswalde is 15 years for urn graves and 20 years for earth graves. This is the minimum lying period, i.e. the time that an urn or coffin must remain untouched in the ground, the so-called resting period. In the case of elective graves, the authorised user can purchase a grave site for 30 years. This is then the period of use.

As the authorised user, you are obliged to care for the grave site for the duration of the period of inactivity or the acquired period of use. At the end of the period of use, you can submit an application to withdraw the right of use. This applies to elective graves where the period of use exceeds the period of lying in state. In most cases, the relinquishment of a grave site is followed by the clearing of the grave site. For alternative grave types, for example the urn grove, the cemetery will take over the maintenance of the grave for 15 years.

Only people with a certified walking disability may drive their car into the cemetery. Upon application and for an annual fee of €39, they will receive a driving licence and a key for the gate on Tramper Chaussee.

The top priority should be not to disturb the peace of the dead. A reburial may only take place if there is an important reason. This is not the case if the urn is moved within the statutory resting period of 15 years. After the statutory resting period, urns may be moved if an urn request form has been sent by another cemetery administration. This must state where the urn is to be reinterred. The exhumation and reburial must be carried out by an undertaker. In the case of burial graves, the removal of the body within the burial period is generally prohibited and, in exceptional cases, requires authorisation from the health authorities. If a grave is relinquished by moving the body to another burial site, no money will be refunded and the new grave must be paid for in full.

In Brandenburg, the parents of live births and miscarriages / stillbirths over 1000g are liable for burial. If a child is to be buried, this means that the parents must organise and pay for the funeral. Miscarriages and stillborn children under 1,000 g can be buried by their parents. If you wish a funeral for your miscarried or stillborn child weighing less than 1,000 g, you should expressly request this at the hospital. However, you can also waive your right to burial. At this point, you hand over the body of your child to the care of the local hospital. The subject of the death of a child is treated very sensitively in Eberswalde. The GLG Werner Forßmann Clinical Centre Eberswalde keeps the star children for the time being. At regular intervals, the children weighing less than 1000g are buried in a compostable container at the forest cemetery in a communal facility. The burials are organised by members of the Barnim Star Children Initiative. A service in the funeral hall will be accompanied by the hospital chaplain Dr Andreas Reich. These funerals and funeral services are free of charge for grieving families. The cemetery administration and Sternenkinder Barnim are there for you.

Every year, the standing gravestones in the cemeteries of the city of Eberswalde are subjected to a stability inspection. If any defects in stability are found, the gravestones are noted and labelled with a sticker. If the stability of grave markers is no longer ensured, the authorised user is instructed to act immediately. If the irregular condition is not remedied despite a written request from the cemetery administration, the cemetery administration may have the stability restored at the expense of the authorised user. Furthermore, if there is an acute danger, the cemetery staff will remove dangerous stones from the base and place them on the grave.

Types of graves

Urn graves

Choice of urn graves are allocated for a utilisation period of 30 years. The size of a double urn grave is usually 1.00 m x 1.00 m and it is possible to bury two more urns. Choice of urn graves are designed and maintained by the relatives. New burial periods are offset against existing periods of use.

Urnenwahlgräber Eberswalde
Graves in rows

This type of grave is allocated to deceased persons in the event of death for the period of 20 years. The graves are allocated in order and the care and design are the responsibility of the person authorised to use the grave.

Erdreihengräber Eberswalde
Urn graves

In the event of death, this type of grave is allocated to the deceased for a period of 15 years. The graves are allocated in order and the care and design is the responsibility of the person authorised to use the grave.

Urnenreihengräber Eberswalde
Meadow graves

Meadow graves are single grave sites for cremation burials and urn burials that do not require any maintenance. The graves are 2.50 m x 1.50 m in size and are laid out with grass and a headstone. Individual plantings are not provided. Maintenance is carried out by the cemetery administration. The period of use is 15 - 20 years.

Wiesengräber Eberswalde
Anonymous communal earth system

In the case of anonymous communal burial sites, there is no marking of the grave position of the interred. The area is laid to lawn and is maintained by the cemetery administration. Flowers and wreaths can be laid in prepared places during the 20-year period of use.

Anonyme Erdgemeinschaftsanlage Eberswalde
Anonymous communal urn site

There is no marking of the grave position of the deceased in anonymous communal urn sites. The site is landscaped with grass and is maintained by the cemetery administration. Flowers and wreaths can be laid in prepared places during the 15-year period of use.

Anonyme Urnengemeinschaftsanlage Eberswalde
Urn grove

The urn graves are located under trees or on former large burial plots in a special setting. The dimensions and design of the area, the memorial stones and plaques are adapted to the respective urn grove. The burial area remains natural and is extensively maintained by the city. The placing of grave decorations is not permitted. The period of use is 15 years.

Urnenhain Eberswalde
Urn communal facility with slab

The utilisation period for this type of grave is 15 years. The graves vary in size and structure. It is obligatory to cover the grave site with a 35 x 15 cm slab. Grave decorations are placed in predetermined locations and care is provided by the cemetery administration.

Urnengemeinschaftsanlage mit Platte Eberswalde
Garden of remembrance

This is a space for the burial of urns under a cherry tree in a modern, attractive garden setting. The gravesites are 0.25 m² in size and a second urn can be buried in an outer radius. These gravesites can be reserved for the partners of the deceased. The utilisation period is 15 years. Names can be marked on memorial steles with stone slabs L/W/D 30x15x2 cm in the cherry orchard. Grave decorations can be placed in designated areas.

Der Kirschgarten Eberswalde
Sponsorship gravesites

Individuals and legal entities can sponsor historic graves, some of which are listed. This gives them the right to be buried there with the granting of a right of use. In return, they are obliged to repair and maintain the site in consultation with the cemetery administration and the monument protection authority.

Patenschaftsgrabstätten Eberswalde
Rhododendron grove

This type of grave is a place for the burial of urns in a forest-like environment characterised by its extraordinary stock of old rhododendron plants. The gravesites are arranged in a circle around a wooden palisade and are 0.25 m² in size and a second urn can be buried in an outer radius. These grave sites can be reserved for the partners of the deceased. The name of the deceased can be marked on a customised stainless steel plate measuring 14 x 9 cm. The period of use is 15 years.

Rhododendronhain Eberswalde
Flower meadow (ash litter meadow)

The ashes of the deceased can be scattered in the flower meadow by relatives or the funeral director. An individual marker can be placed on a wooden stele. Flowers and wreaths can be placed on a flower bed.

Blumenwiese Aschestreuwiese Eberswalde
Special burial site for stillbirths and miscarriages

Star children can be buried by their parents in these graves. Star children are unborn children weighing less than 1000 g who do not have to be buried according to the Brandenburg Burial Act. The parents can hand over the body of their child to the care of the hospital and the Barnim Star Children Initiative. In this case, the star children are buried together in a group in a communal facility free of charge. Another paid option is the individual burial in a row grave. These are single-digit graves, which are filled one after the other. The period of use is 10 years. The grave can be purchased at a later date. The relatives are obliged to care for the grave for the duration of its use.

Feasts of honour

Memorial and burial site of forced labourers in Eberswalde

The graves of forced labourers who died in Eberswalde during the National Socialist era are located in the easternmost section 51 of the Waldfriedhof cemetery. 109 citizens of the former Soviet Union, 39 daughters and sons of Poland, a young Croatian and a citizen of Luxembourg were buried here. The inscription on the memorial wall reads: "Fascist despotism tore them from their homeland and deported them to forced labour for the bloody goals of imperialism. They became victims of fascism and militarism in the years of the Second World War. The free German people honours their final resting place like that of their brothers and sisters."

Denkmal und Grabstätte der Zwangsarbeiter in Eberswalde Eberswalde
Garrison cemetery

The garrison cemetery of the Soviet armed forces of the former Eberswalde garrison was established on Heegermühler Straße on the basis of SAMAD order no. 17 of 15 April 1946. Between 1949 and 1967, 855 deceased Soviet citizens were buried in the cemetery. Among them were numerous children who died as a result of war injuries, accidents and illnesses. The cemetery is under war grave protection and is therefore maintained in perpetuity by the Eberswalde cemetery administration. In 2008/2009, the cemetery was extensively reconstructed by the city of Eberswalde with the help of the Barnim district and the state of Brandenburg. The garrison cemetery is a public manifestation of the presence of the Soviet armed forces in the cityscape of Eberswalde, which characterised the city for decades.

Garnisonsfriedhof Eberswalde
Memorial to the Rifle Regiment and soldiers' graves

There are German War Graves Commission memorials at two locations in the forest cemetery. The Rifle Regiment 3 (1939-1945) memorial was redesigned in 1994 and commemorates the fallen of the Second World War. On the stone crosses, nameless soldiers can be found among known fallen victims of the war. The annual ceremony to commemorate the fallen German soldiers takes place here. 460 German soldiers were buried at the German war cemeteries. The following quote is inscribed on a plaque in Precinct 32: "I would like to know exactly for whom the deeds were actually done that are publicly said to have been done for the fatherland." (Georg Christoph Lichtenberg)

Gedenkstätte Schützenregiment und Soldatengräber Eberswalde
Soviet memorial

(Design 1. 1949 / 2. 1967 / 3. 1985)

The memorial to the 328 Red Army soldiers who died in the battle for the town of Eberswalde is located in the Waldfriedhof cemetery. Located on Freienwalder Straße and last revised and dedicated in 1985, the Soviet memorial is part of the Eberswalde cemetery administration's area of responsibility. 5000 square metres in size, the memorial is made of sandstone with a star at the top. The memorial stands on a truncated earth pyramid which can be reached by steps. The main entrance is made of quarry stone with a steel gate reminiscent of bayonets. An avenue of hornbeam flanks the entrance to the memorial. 1.20 x 2.0 metre sandstone walls stand to the left and right of the memorial, on which granite plaques have been placed providing information about the names and ranks of the fallen Soviet soldiers. The inscription on the memorial reads: "Eternal Glory to the Soviet soldiers who died fighting for the liberation from fascism." The previous memorials on the truncated pyramid were a brick obelisk from 1949, a granite memorial stone from 1967 and finally a sandstone memorial in 1985.

Sowjetisches Ehrenmal Gestaltung 1 1949 2 1967 3 1985 Eberswalde
Military police memorial

The fact that a "Feldjäger stone" was erected as a memorial at the forest cemetery in Eberswalde and dedicated on 24 November 1922 is due to the forestry training in Eberswalde. The Prussian mounted infantry corps, a troop unit set up by King Frederick II of Prussia in 1740, studied at the Eberswalde Forestry Academy during peacetime. The sons of foresters were appointed "Capitaines de Guides" and were to provide the Prussian army with good signposts and messengers. After the First World War was lost, the Feldjäger were disbanded as the "Reitende-Feldjäger-Corps" (RFC) by order of the Minister of War on 1 October 1919. This meant that the "fourth oldest branch" of the Prussian army had ceased to exist. However, even before the dissolution of the Reitende Feldjäger-Corps was finalised, old and young Feldjäger set about founding a "Feldjägergesellschaft", now the "Feldjägerverein e.V.", in Eberswalde on the basis of existing structures. A boulder from the Brandenburg forest was found barely 150 metres from the memorial site. The stone was crowned by a dying eagle. The lights were overcast and its fangs clutched in the stone. With an inscription in golden letters. "The mounted Feldjäger Corps from 1740 - 1919 To its fallen." "If you had given an order to a Feldjäger, you were safe." (Count Moltke 24.11.1890)

Feldjägerdenkmal Eberswalde

Funeral parlours

Forest cemetery

The funeral hall, built in 1846, has 60 seats and is heated, bright and friendly. There is also a small prayer room for 10 people next to the funeral hall. There are good sanitary facilities and barrier-free access from the south side.

Trauerhalle Waldfriedhof Eberswalde
Finow Chapel

The chapel at the cemetery in Finow is bright and attractively designed. The chapel is heated and there are 46 seats available. The sanitary facilities are located not far from the chapel in the administration building.

Kapelle Friedhof Finow Eberswalde
Chapel Messingwerk

The listed brick chapel, built in 1926, has been newly renovated. The interior of the chapel is simple, unheated and can accommodate 60 mourners, who can sit on wooden benches. There are no sanitary facilities and no electricity supply.

Chapel Kupferhammer

As the Kupferhammer cemetery has been taken out of use, very few funerals are held in the Kupferhammer chapel. The chapel is small and can seat 12 mourners. There are no toilets at Kupferhammer.

Spechthausen Chapel

The Spechthausen chapel is in need of renovation. It could accommodate 30 mourners. There are no toilets and no electricity.

History of the forest cemetery

The town of Eberswalde already had three official cemeteries in the Middle Ages. One was the churchyard around St Mary Magdalene's Church within the town walls, which had to be paid for. Secondly, there were the two hospital cemeteries, St Gertrude's Cemetery and St George's Cemetery outside the city walls. These were free of charge and were also open to travellers. The cemetery around the town church was closed in 1776. In the 14th century, a chapel dedicated to St Gertrude was built in front of the Obertor. St Gertrude's Chapel formed a unit with the hospital and the cemetery for the poor. The spiritual brotherhood provided accommodation and care here for travellers who were often burdened with illness or disease. In its function as a quarantine centre and hospital, citizens of the town were also cared for here. In 1610, the year of the plague, the hospital cemetery was extended for the first time and became a burial ground for all citizens of Eberswalde. In the 18th century, mulberry trees were planted in the town's cemeteries to produce silk. Later, pyramid trees, trembling poplars and lime trees were planted in avenues. Foreign trees such as Douglas fir and false cypress were planted in the forest cemetery, which still characterise the appearance of the cemetery. From 1846, the first expansion towards today's cemetery took place, which is characterised in particular by the construction of the mourning hall in 1875/1876. In 1903, the cemetery area was extended to 18.4 hectares, which corresponds to its current size. Thanks to the work of the town gardener Friedrich Schumann, the Waldfriedhof was given its park-like character and was the most beautiful cemetery in the province of Brandenburg at the time. In the old part of the forest cemetery you can find old gravestones of Dr Bernhard Danckelmann, Carl Ludwig Gerber and the Schickler brothers, among others. The Waldfriedhof also contains gravestones of many well-known citizens of Eberswalde as well as war graves, the Feldjägerstein, the memorial to the Soviet Army and the memorials to forcibly deported foreigners.

A selection of special historical burial sites

Clemens Schreiber (1838 - 1903)

The owner and manager of the first German horseshoe nail factory on Kupferhammer Weg, founded on 1 October 1871, was the first person in the Finow Valley to have electric light installed in the gusset room of his factory on 7 February 1883. The basis of the Hufnagelfabrik was the patented Hufnagelschmiedemaschine, which was tested in 1870 and put into operation in 1871. The mausoleum for Clemens Schreiber in district 33 was designed by the Dresden architect Baader.

Clemens Schreiber 1838 1903 Eberswalde
Dr Bernhard Danckelmann (1831 - 1901)

His grave is located in the old forest cemetery and a monument in his honour stands at the entrance to the park on Weidendamm. He was a master forester, director of the forestry academy, town councillor and, in 1900, an honorary citizen of the town of Eberswalde. His special merit is based on the establishment of the forestry experimental station in Eberswalde in 1871, with the departments of forestry meteorology, chemistry, physics, plant physiology and zoology. From 1899, the departments of mycological and, in 1914, entomological experimentation followed. He was instrumental in the founding of the IUFRO, the International Union of Forest Research Organisations.

Dr Bernhard Danckelmann 1831 1901 Eberswalde
David Schickler (1755 - 1818)

David Schickler's grave is located in the old forest cemetery. The name is closely linked to the expansion of the Ruhla cutlers into the city of Eberswalde. At this time (1795), the cutlery and ironware factory owned by the Schickler family was operated by water mills along the Schwärze river. David Schickler and Ernestine Elise Schickler laid out a park that led from the Zainhammer westwards to the Hertha pond waterfall and attracted many visitors from out of town. The Schickler Gardens were a great asset to the town of Eberswalde. David Schickler actively promoted the town's development into an industrial and spa town. Furthermore, this extraordinary park formed the basis of the zoological garden. The Schickler family home in today's Schicklerstraße later became the seat of the forestry training centre (old forestry academy). In 1817, David Schickler was awarded honorary citizenship of the town of Eberswalde.

Carl Ludwig Gerber (1700 - 1768)

Gravestone in the old forest cemetery / lying with lilies and skull. The oldest gravestone found in the forest cemetery is a sandstone in which a comprehensive eulogy to C.L. Gerber was carved. Excerpts from the inscription on the gravestone are quoted below. "Reader ! This stone tells you the swift but blessed end of the Well-Born and Highly Honoured Mr Carl Ludewig Gerber, former Royal War and Tax Councillor, also Commissarii of the Uckermark and Styrian County, born on 13 April 1700. He happily married twice, first to Mrs Charlotte Louise Strebelowin (the Queen's Chamberlain) and then to Mrs Maria Tugendreich Frommin, and from the latter marriage produced his Dorothea Louise Johanna Charlotte. He ended his career gloriously, accompanied by age and honour, on 1 May 1768 as an old man of 68 years and 18 days. A good Christian, faithful servant of his king, a worthy husband, father and philanthropist. Quite the honest man! That was Gerber's greatness. Honour them, reader, and bless his urn. But you, think to yourself that the day of death is better than the day of birth." [...])

Dr Ernst Ludwig Krause (pseudonym Carus Sterne) (1839 - 1903)

In the 3rd triangle. In collaboration with Charles Darwin and Ernst Haeckel, Dr Ernst Ludwig Krause published the monthly journal KOSMOS. He disseminated the teachings and findings of Charles Darwin, wrote about natural cults, the Nordic Troy and "Botanical systematics in its relationship to morphology". Other titles by the author include: Werden und Vergehen. A history of the development of the whole of nature in an easy-to-understand version. First volume: Development of the earth and the cosmos, plants and invertebrates; Second volume: Development of vertebrates and humans. Autumn and winter flowers. A description of the native world of flowers.

The Grey Sisters of St. Elisabeth

In district 34 on the main road. The foundation of the "Grey Sisters of St Elisabeth", established in 1872, was a great blessing. The first two sisters, Dionysia Klich and Eligia Jupe, were introduced by Pastor Karl Seltmann and carried out nursing work in the family of Dr Köhler, who later became a medical councillor. In 1887, five sisters were already serving and they received wood, accommodation and a financial allowance for their selfless and unselfish help. In 1891, they moved to the new Schweizerstraße 11. Up to 10 sisters also served in the military hospitals and on the battlefields during the First World War.

Die Grauen Schwestern von der heiligen Elisabeth Eberswalde
Annie Sandberg (1871 - 1928) and Councillor of Justice Ludwig Sandberg (1857 - 1936)

On the terraces. Ludwig Sandberg was born in Breslau to Jewish parents. He studied law and was on the board of the Potsdam Bar Association for many years. From 1908 he was a town councillor and was made an honorary citizen of the town of Eberswalde in 1927. After Jewish lawyers were banned from practising in 1933, he was stripped of his honorary citizenship. He shot himself on 29 January 1936 in his flat at Moltkestraße (now Schillerstraße) 21. On 17 December 1946, Augustastraße was renamed Ludwig-Sandberg-Straße. In 1991, the city council once again granted him honorary citizenship.

Annie Sandberg 1871 1928 und Justizrat Ludwig Sandberg 1857 1936 Eberswalde
Sisters of the Augusta Viktoria Home (Red Cross Sisters)

Im Revier 33 (grave site with 27 gravestones and memorial stone). The Augusta Viktoria Heim owes its existence to the decision of the Vaterländischer Frauenverein der Provinz Brandenburg to found a motherhouse in connection with a hospital that would serve to train nurses in community care and in all branches of nursing. The topping-out ceremony took place on 19 September 1894 and in the spring of 1895 the building, equipped with 36 beds, was handed over for its intended purpose. After the opening, the hospital was initially managed by a Red Cross nurse from the Augusta Hospital in Breslau. The hospital was renamed Krankenhaus Kurmark in 1938. Since 18 August 1991, this hospital has belonged to Klinikum Barnim GmbH and is now known as Werner-Forßmann-Krankenhaus.

Schwestern des Augusta Viktoria Heims Rot Kreuz Schwestern Eberswalde
Rodolp Schmidt (1875 - 1943)

In district 42, Rudolf Schmidt wrote 2 volumes on the "History of the town of Eberswalde" as the district historian. He was born in Dillingen an der Saar in 1875 and came to Eberswalde at the age of 28 to work in publishing. He was interested in history in general and the history of the town of Eberswalde in particular. In 1904 he published the first Eberswalde Heimatblätter and in 1905 he founded the local history museum in Eberswalde.

Rodolp Schmidt 1875 1943 Eberswalde
Prof Dr Adam Schwappach (1851 - 1932)

In district 41 by the stairs. Prof Dr Adam Friedrich Schwappach, born in Bamberg in 1851, was a forest scientist, privy councillor, professor at the University of Giessen, professor at the Royal Forestry Academy in Eberswalde and head of department at the Prussian main station for forestry experimentation as well as a local politician in Eberswalde. He was involved in the establishment of the Wirty Arboretum and in 1928 was made an honorary citizen of the town of Eberswalde, which named a street after him. His writings are still referred to internationally today. His works include, among others: Das Holz unserer Waldbäume. Wild, 1872. Grundriss der Forst- und Jagdgeschichte Deutschlands. J. Springer, 1892. Leitfaden der Holzmesskunde. 1889. forest policy, hunting and fishing policy. Hirschfeld, Leipzig 1894. The results of the cultivation experiments with foreign wood species carried out in the Prussian state forests. 1901.

Prof Dr Adam Schwappach 1851 1932 Eberswalde
Friedrich Schumann (1870 - 1938)

In district 41 by the steps. The city inspector Friedrich Schumann created various highly attractive gardens and parks in Eberswalde during his creative period. His works include the redesign of the old waterfall, the major transformation of the grounds at Weidendamm with the creation of a park, the grounds in front of the new building of the forestry college and, above all, the generous extension of the forest and park cemetery, in the expert judgement of the time the most beautiful cemetery in the province of Brandenburg. During the war and inflation years, Schumann was also in charge of the extensive municipal vegetable gardens in the city area. Friedrich Schumann worked for the forest and garden city of Eberswalde for 32 years.

Friedrich Schumann 1870 1938 Eberswalde
Robert Ardelt (1847-1925)

Robert Adelt was an engineer who founded Robert Ardelt & Söhne Maschinenfabrik together with his four sons. The later Ardelt Werke GmbH initially produced foundry machines and then loading cranes of all kinds. The company's patented portal luffing slewing jib crane is still sold worldwide today. During the National Socialist era, tanks and cannons were manufactured in the Ardelt factories by forced labourers. After the war, the factories were called VEB Kranbau Eberswalde and today Kirow Ardelt GmbH again.

Robert Ardelt 1847 1925 Eberswalde

On the terraces. Three citizens of the town of Eberswalde, who, along with many others, opposed National Socialism, are listed below.

Franz Willi Hasse (1900-1975)

A member of the SPD, he was a locksmith by trade and a municipal councillor in Kupferhammer. From 1933 to April 1945 he was a political prisoner and forced labourer. After 1945 until 1949, he was mayor of a district in the town of Eberswalde.

Franz Willi Hasse 1900 1975 Eberswalde
Otto Kracheel (1901-1958)

He was a co-founder of the Socialist Workers' Youth, a member of the KPD since 1925 and on 11 March 1933 was the leading candidate for election to the city council. As a member of the illegal "Fritz Pehlmann Group", he was imprisoned 15 times, including in Sachsenhausen concentration camp. After 1945, he took on political and social functions, for example as district mayor of the Ostend district or deputy mayor.

Otto Kracheel 1901 1958 Eberswalde
Hans Ammon (1901 -1941)

Born the son of concertmaster Karl Ammon, he worked as a core maker at the Ardelt works. He was a member of the DMV (German Metalworkers' Association) from an early age and had been a member of the KPD since 1918. In 1926 he married Elisabeth Coralle from Hohenfinow. After the KPD was banned, he spent four months in Oranienburg concentration camp and then became illegally active in a resistance group with Fritz Pehlmann, Otto Kracheel and Walter Kohn. In 1941, he and his wife were arrested and taken to the Potsdam Gestapo prison. There he was tortured to death.

Hans Ammon 1901 1941 Eberswalde

Contact person

Mr Jan Weber
e-mail: j.weber@eberswalde.de
Phone: 03334/64-685